Application For Zoning Use Compliance Certificate
Guidelines: Application For Zoning Use Compliance Certificate
It is important to recognize the purposes and differences of some of the basic permits which may be required for a new business startup in Painesville Township. A Building Permit issued by the Lake County Building Dept., upon a satisfactory final inspection, confirms that a building or structure is fit to be occupied or used. A Fire Dept. Inspection Permit confirms that a building or structure and the way that it is being used, satisfy fire code requirements. A Zoning Certificate for Zoning Use Compliance confirms that a declared use, and only that use, of a specified property conforms to zoning requirements applicable to the specified property. Applicants for a Zoning Certificate for Zoning Use Compliance should be aware of the following expectations regarding the application form:
- Information for the property owner must be complete and accurate and must also match the information on file with the Lake County Auditor’s office
- Information for the occupant must be complete and accurate ( a separate sheet must be attached to the application describing the business structure and ownership; for example, sole proprietor dba [doing business as] company name including proprietor’s residence address and phone number; partnership [list all partners including addresses and percentage of ownership]; LLC, list names of members along with managing member’s residence address and phone number; corporation [declare whether stock is privately or publicly held, list names, titles and addresses of officers, directors and shareholders owning 50% or more of the outstanding shares]. Any trade names, fictitious names and “doing business as” names which will be used in association with business activities as described on the application form must be declared on the application.
- Information for the contractor is not required for this application, but the applicant may elect to request legal counsel or an agent to submit the application. The agent’s identification and contact information should be inserted on the contractor/agent line.
- Information for the business contact must be complete and accurate in listing the person who has, or will have, full and unlimited access to the premises and business records and who has been designated by the ownership of the business enterprise proposing to use the specified property in the proposed manner for the purpose of being the initial contact person.
- See special section below for “Description Of Project Or Use”
- Name and title of person signing the application must be printed in the space provided for same and the signature of that person must appear in the space provided for same.
- The application must bear the date the signature was made on the application
- Checks or money orders payable to “Painesville Township” must accompany the application when submitted. Currency is acceptable, but not preferred.
- In cases where the business enterprise is a tenant on the property, a written acknowledgement that the property owner is aware of and in concert with the application being submitted must accompany the application and must be signed and dated by the property owner or an authorized agent (an agent must clearly identify himself/herself along with title and also the authority by which he/she acts).
- All documents/supplemental sheets submitted with the application must be signed and dated by the same person whose signature appears on the application form.
- A minimum of one application form, together with a minimum of one set of supporting documents, bearing the original (non-duplicated) signature of the applicant or applicant’s designee must be submitted prior to the issuance of a Zoning Certificate.
SPECIAL SECTION FOR DESCRIPTION OF USE
Applications may be rejected if the description of the proposed use is considered to be vague, overly generalized, misleading or incomplete relative to major components of common business activities such as;
- Descriptive listing of goods and/or services to be made available to the public at or on the premises (ex. Rather than indicating a use such as “retail clothing sales”, differentiate the description of clothing to include categories such as men’s, women’s, children’s, toddlers, infants, including/excluding footwear, etc.)
- Descriptive listing of business property to be stored on premises and location of storage according to category of business property
- Descriptive listing of business equipment, supplies and/or merchandise which will be stored or placed outside the exterior walls of the building and the length of time per day such placement is anticipated
- Descriptive listing of all business activities anticipated to be performed outside the exterior walls of the premises and the length of time per day such activities are anticipated to occur
- Descriptive listing of sales and merchandising activities intended for the specified premises (also indicate location)
- Listing of machinery, equipment, fixtures, vending machines or other items which are or will be rented or leased from others and which are or will be placed on the specified premises (also indicate location)
- Listing of any items which are or will be accepted by the business enterprise on a “consignment” basis and are or will be placed on the specified premises (also indicate location)
- A statement whether or not the business enterprise has the authority and/or intention of leasing, sub-leasing or renting to others all or part of the specified premises
Descriptions of the proposed use are also expected to include some discussion concerning hours of operation, number of employees on premises at any given time, anticipated and/or maximum customer load (how many customers/visitors may possibly be on the premises at any one time) and parking arrangements/capacity for both employees and customers.
It is highly recommended that businesses familiarize themselves with the zoning requirements and restrictions governing signs. Please refer to Section 28 (XXVIII) of the Painesville Township Zoning Resolution. Stop in or call at Township Hall, Zoning Dept. You may also find it at www.painesvilletwp.com.
55 Nye Rd.